Our Corporate Social Responsibility policy
We are committed to a sustainable business model. Our agricultural roots and our position as a global leader mean we have a special environmental, social, and societal responsibility. Our CSR ambitions are based on five key commitments:
- Promoting sustainable farming
- Reducing our environmental impact
- Promoting the local economy Looking after our employees
- And behaving ethically and with integrity
We have set ourselves concrete objectives for the years to come.
Our CSR Commitments
Promoting sustainable farming
We are committed to promoting farming practices that protect our regions' natural resources and help to produce good quality, healthy food. We are convinced that these practices are essential for the protection of our soil, for promoting the image of farming, and for strengthening consumer confidence.
- Promote sustainable farming practices
- Limit the use of inputs to the bare minimum
- Support farmers
Our main objective: 50% of barley produced under the SAI* platform by 2022.
Reducing our environmental impact
The malt industry needs water and energy to transform grain into malt. We are working to reduce our use of these resources in order to preserve them for future generations.
- Promote barley varieties and farming methods that require less water
- Adapt the malt production process so that it uses less water • Develop the use of renewable energies
- Reduce our carbon footprint
Our main priorities for 2022 (compared to 2015):
- To reduce our greenhouse gas emissions by 16%
- To reduce our water consumption by 25%
Promoting the local economy
Our malt houses are located as close as possible to barley-growing regions. We promote short supply chains and buy our raw materials directly from local farmers. 80% of our malting barley comes from farms located near our plants. We help farmers secure their income and commercial opportunities through long-term contracts. We are proud to contribute to the local economy and the rural fabric of the countries we operate in.
- Favor short supply chains
- Support farmers
Looking after our employees (CARE)
Our employees are our most important asset. Ensuring that they are safe at work is an absolute priority.
- Improve safety expertise and behavior
- Sustainably reduce risks
Our main priority: To reach the zero accidents
Behaving ethically and with integrity
We undertake to adopt responsible practices and to behave ethically and with integrity. We strive to promote diversity and equality of opportunity. Relations with our customers and partners are open, transparent, and based on trust. We establish fair and balanced commercial relationships.
- Ensure all our employees have access to an ethical warning system.
- Train local ambassadors in the countries we operate in.
- Promote diversity and equality of opportunity.